In later centuries the castle was passing from hand to hand. Its owners were members of the Montmorency family and Cardinal Retz.
The castle was renamed the Château de la Roche Fidèle («Castle of the faithful mountain”) after the French Revolution. It was declared the national property and was purchased by a contractor, who demolished some parts of the buildings. He began with a fortress, selling it stone by stone. Subsequently, the castle was passing from hand to hand.
Like many other monuments of this period, the castle could disappear, becoming a ruin, but in 1893, Madame Carnot, the wife of Sadi Carnot, the president of France (1887-1894), bought the ruins of the Château de la Rochepot and o ered it as a gift to an older son, Colonel Sadi Carnot. He decided to give the second life to the castle and restore it according to the original style of the 15th century.